Welcome

I'm so glad you're here! This is our story. God has lead us to adoption to build our family and here you will find my real and raw experiences with joys and triumphs as well as struggles and sadness. I hope you're encouraged by our story of God's faithfulness and His love for us!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The turmoils of the heart

So I met Dora and her FM at her speech class this morning and felt completely in the dark. I had no idea why we were there or what we were going to be doing and apparently I didn't even know her name! The FM assumed we would change her name so she's tried to avoid calling her a name and when she does call her by a name it's Layla. Talk about feeling blindsided. I didn't know WHAT to call her! I settled on the name we'd been calling her (but here it will be Dora) because that's what we decided we were going to call her regardless of what her original name was. We like it and it just seems to fit her. So Dora it is.

Today was very informative and I'm really glad that we went. Turns out that they have yet to assess her for speech services.The FM is in social work and knows people and they're letting Dora come kind of "under the table" assuming that she'll need them because she was a drug baby. The people are super nice but they didn't do anything I couldn't do at home. In the short time we've had her she was babbling and learned the word "dog" and repeated several other words. I think what she really needs are loving parents and a supportive, consistent home environment. Of course a very verbal older sister will help too :)

So far she has taken to us really easily. As soon as FM left today she knew to look to me as her care provider which is great and her first time in our home went really well. She was extremely happy and just made herself right at home. Cinderella was really excited to see her when we walked in. She yelled "DORA!" And then they started playing! She's a little timid around our dog, Chloe, but don't think it will be long at all before she's comfortable around her. I get the impression from FM that she's been really sheltered by request from the social worker and hasn't left the FH that much. It was obvious by the way she behaved at the speech class that she hasn't had much discipline or many expectations and it doesn't seem like she's heard the word "no." I'm pretty confident that we'll see huge improvement in her as we invest in her.

Something that hit me today as I was driving to the appointment. I was praying and working through the emotions of bringing her into our home and our family with the knowledge that the parental rights haven't been terminated yet and it hit me that I can't do this half way. If I'm going to be the parent that I need to be for her and bring her in as a permanent member of our family than I need to fully commit and count the cost if for some reason she goes back to mom. From everything I've heard and observed it doesn't seem like that is going to happen, but with this type of adoption there is always that risk and because of that there is such a tendency to allow fear to control me and for worry to take over. Then I sit back and realize that God is fully in control of the situation and that it's my choice to trust Him or to live in anxiety and fear about it. So, the choice has been made to commit fully to this child and believe that if for some reason it doesn't work out that God will be there to pick up the pieces and put me back together again and that He has something even more beautiful in store for me. I'm praying fervently that that doesn't happen and I'm praying that God will allow me to see His signs of confirmation as they come.

We're super excited that we get to spend most of the day with her tomorrow! I really need to get to bed since I'm picking her up in six hours! This has been my life for the past several weeks. I just don't sleep well or very much anymore. I'm just ready to bring her home so that then I can hopefully rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment