Welcome

I'm so glad you're here! This is our story. God has lead us to adoption to build our family and here you will find my real and raw experiences with joys and triumphs as well as struggles and sadness. I hope you're encouraged by our story of God's faithfulness and His love for us!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Naptimes are for Mommies :)

Whew... what a week! Tonight is our third night with Dora. Nights are going great. Naps... not so much. I'm one tired mama. Don't kids know that naptimes are just as important to mommies as they are to them? Today I really needed that naptime but in the end it just didn't happen and we went to the park instead. I think tomorrow we'll try naps in separate rooms.

We had speech again today, this time Cinderella was able to come with us. I'm so over it. I know, it's only two weeks in! I am just having a really hard time figuring out how it is benefiting Dora right now. I'm not saying I'm against speech therapy at all. I just don't see her benefiting at all from the classes at this moment. In fact going from no structure to a highly structured classroom she's getting frustrated. I think next week when we meet with her social worker to sign the placement papers (the papers saying that she is officially becoming out foster child - not adoption papers) I'm going to broach holding off for a little while so that I can work with her and prepare her for that kind of environment. In the short amount of time that she's been with us she's learned at least five words and I have a pretty good track record of getting non-verbal kids to speak and sing in my years of teaching through music. Of course I want what's best for her and if her SW says go, we'll go. I just really believe that what she needs more than anything is encouragement to speak and the example of her big sister.

So, between picking up Dora, taking Dora to speech, taking Cinderella to the doctor because she was wheezing all day (can you believe I called first thing this morning and we couldn't get in till 4!!!!!), and no nap, today has been kind of a stressful day. Thankfully, Cinderella is doing fine. She wasn't officially diagnosed with asthma, but she was given an inhaler, I think more for my peace of mind than anything. It was really tough watching her coughing and wheezing for so many hours. I'm so glad she's doing better and sleeping peacefully.

Tomorrow we're going to head to the zoo with the girls. Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to the carseat and double stroller! I don't even know who everyone is yet, but I thank you all so much!!! We took the stroller out on a walk to the park and Dora was giggling with glee for the first 10 minutes! Both girls enjoyed it and I loved watching them next to each other. They're sooo cute!!! Anyway, back to the zoo... I'm hoping it will help get Dora excited about animals so that she's eager to look at pictures of animals and to try saying their names and making animal sounds. Plus, we just have so much fun being outside and experiencing the world with our family! She really seems to thrive outside and with one on one interaction. I just love her smile and her little sense of humor!

One load of laundry left to fold and just waiting for the cheesecake to come out of the oven before heading to bed. Awww... bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment